Steeped in history, Linden House and its neighbour St Stephens at the junction of Chapel Hill in Stansted, underwent extensive renovation in 2010/2011. Formally known as Paringa Nursing Home in c1926, Linden House became a family home and antique shop from 1961. St Stephens was the home of Miss Ecclestone, the daughter of a pharmacist on Chapel Hill until work began to transform both buildings into luxury restaurant with rooms.
A elegant cast-iron drinking fountain was erected on the site of the demolished chapel and was opened by Mr Gilbey on 1 May 1871. Following which he took a good draught. It seems to have attracted local livestock in this view postmarked 1906 but probably taken around 1902. Linden House is visible through the broken trees.
'Paringa Nursing Home' in Silver Street. At a later date, an advertisement states that it offers 'Medical, Surgical, Maternity ect, every care and attention given, Nurses sent out for duty, day and night services. Apply sister in charge'.
The Fountain at the top of Chapel Hill Stansted adjacent to Linden House which is on the left. The markings on the kerb used to assist motorists during the blackout dates this is the mid 1940’s. The seat is still a popular, and shady, resting place for villagers and cyclists alike.